What is the Learner Support Fund?
The Learner Support Fund is a discretionary source of financial help available to all registered full time Academy students. The aim of the Fund is to help students who have difficulties in paying for:
Curriculum trips, visits and year group residential.
Uniform or sports kit.
Other materials or equipment required for their academic studies.
Expenses to attend seminars, interviews or work experience placements
Payments from the Fund are discretionary and if awarded do not need to be repaid.
The Academy will consider requests for Learner Support funding from the following groups of students:
- students living alone outside the family home
- students in receipt of free school meals
- students in families with very low incomes
- students with disabilities
- students who are or have been in care
- Students whose parents are experiencing temporary financial hardship which has led to a temporary reduction in income.
Your Children MAY be eligible for assistance from our Learner Support Fund fund if:
- You are in receipt of child benefit for the children
- You are receiving one of the following three benefits to support your income:
- Income Support
- Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
- Child Tax Credit
- Working tax credit
- You are receiving one of the following three benefits as your ONLY source of income:
- Widowed Mother’s Allowance
- Incapacity Benefit
- State Pension Credit
- You are experiencing a reduced income as a result of temporary financial hardship such as illness or caring for a relative.
Proof of Benefit is required. Proof must be in letter form and supplied with your application:
- Proof of benefit must have been issued within the last six months
- Proof must show the family address given
- Proof must be included with the application
- Bank Statements, incapacity, housing and council tax benefit are not valid proof.
Letters of Proof of Benefits can be obtained from:
- Inland Revenue Child Benefit Office 0845 302 1444
- Inland Revenue Tax Credits 0845 300 3900
- Jobcentre Plus 0845 604 3719
- Migrant Helpline 020 8774 0002
How to apply to the Learner Support Fund
An application should be made to the Headteacher Mr Nigel Willingham. The application will remain confidential and will be considered by the Head Teacher given their knowledge of the student’s circumstances.
If approved by the Head Teacher the application will be passed to the Principal Finance Officer for final approval of the payment.
The payment will be made only in the following ways
- For assistance with uniform purchase the Parent will be advised of the amount awarded and contacted directly by the school shop to arrange purchase.
- For all other expenses the payment will be made through the school internal financial system or by receipt of invoice for goods purchased.
A student may be able to apply for Learner Support funding at any time during the academic year. It may also be possible to apply more than once, but usually only where circumstances have not changed. Only one application per type of assistance eg uniform, or trip assistance will be considered per year. Students will be granted no more than one application for non UK residential trips during their entire registration with the School.
Students cannot appeal a decision not to award a Learner Support funding as the Headteachers decision is final.
PLEASE CONTACT THE SCHOOL DIRECT FOR A COPY OF THE APPLICATION FORM.
Completing The Application Form:
Please complete and return form A, along with the appropriate specification form, this will relate to the type of support you are applying for, and ensure that you have provided the necessary supporting documentation.
Please send the form along with any supporting evidence to:
St Clement’s High School
Terrington St Clement
By hand – Front Office
For enquiries call – 01553 828648
PLEASE NOTE THAT ANY APPLICATION RECEIVED WITHOUT SUPPORTING EVIDENCE OF HOUSEHOLD INCOME WILL NOT BE PROCESSED ANY FURTHER AND THE APPLICANT WILL NOT BE NOTIFIED. IT IS THE APPLICANTS RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE THEY HAVE PROVIDED DOCUMENTATION IN SUPORT OF THEIR APPLICATION.